St Breoke Church

St. Breock, Wadebridge PL27 7JS

Open daily 10-4 pm except on Tuesdays.

 

This beautiful church is situated in the hamlet of St Breock in a quiet wooded valley, about a mile to the west of Wadebridge town centre.

Work on the church commenced in the 13th century, but it was almost completely rebuilt in the 17th Century. The tower has six 18th century bells. 2009 saw the 750th Anniversary of the dedication of the church by Bishop Branscombe.

 

Tradition has it that building started on the hill, but each night it was mysteriously carried into the valley. The workers finally gave up and continued building on the present site. St. Briocus was born in A.D.425 in Cardiganshire but St. Briavels, in the Forest of Dean, bears the Welsh version of his name. After a period with us in Cornwall he left for Brittany where he founded the monastery at St. Brieuc where he died about A.D.515.

A brief History

1259 – Church dedicated to ‘St Briocus’ on 24th September

1318 – High Altar dedicated on the 12th July

15th Century – Church substantially enlarged

1565 – Young men of St Breoke collect £3.15s.l0d for new seats in the Church

1677 – Church extensively rebuilt

1727 – New seats for young people built

1881 – Restoration – pitch pine pews and ceiling added

1901 – Bishop Gott re-dedicates Church on 27th July after much new work

1932 – Post reformation plaster removed and stone walls pointed

A brief History

1259 – Church dedicated to ‘St Briocus’ on 24th September

1318 – High Altar dedicated on the 12th July

15th Century – Church substantially enlarged

1565 – Young men of St Breoke collect £3.15s.l0d for new seats in the Church

1677 – Church extensively rebuilt

1727 – New seats for young people built

1881 – Restoration – pitch pine pews and ceiling added

1901 – Bishop Gott re-dedicates Church on 27th July after much new work

1932 – Post reformation plaster removed and stone walls pointed

What’s On

Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, service details and events in the Parish